accumulo-user mailing list archives

From "Philip A Grim II" <p...@insufficient-light.com>
Subject RE: "NOT" operator in visibility string
Date Mon, 10 Mar 2014 15:00:56 GMT

Josh Elser said:

<snip>

Second, the functionality is already present by the lack of providing the label which you
want to negate. Categorizing data into static labels tends to be more manageable over using
many roles. While enumerating the inverse of a negation is possible, it is valid that the
marking may be much larger on disk than a representation using a negation.

</snip>

I’m having trouble with this – perhaps I’m not thinking of it the right way.

How would you handle mutual exclusivity?  So, say I have a cell that I can mark M or F.  If
it’s M, people with M can see it.  If it’s F, people with F can see it.  But people with
M&F can see it either way, and I don’t want that.  If it’s marked F, I don’t want
people with M seeing it.  So (F&!M) makes sense to denote that.  Lacking that, the only
way I can see to implement what I want is somehow in application or business logic to make
sure nobody gets assigned M and F at the same time…which breaks the model of letting Accumulo
enforce visibility.

Am I missing something?