accumulo-user mailing list archives

From Sean Busbey <busbey+li...@cloudera.com>
Subject Re: accumulo startup issue: Accumulo not initialized, there is no instance id at /accumulo/instance_id
Date Thu, 16 Jan 2014 20:00:20 GMT
Thanks for the overview Charles!  Any chance I can convince you to polish
this up a little and add it to our user documentation as a quickstart guide?

(Notes inline below)

On Thu, Jan 16, 2014 at 1:50 PM, Ott, Charles H.
<CHARLES.H.OTT@leidos.com>wrote:

> Disclaimer,
>

> Not advocating this is the best approach, just what I’m currently doing,
> put this together pretty quick, but it should be mostly complete for
> settting up accumulo on cdh hdfs/zk
>

>  <snip>
>

> echo "Increasing *Swapiness* Factor to limit use of swap space."
>
> echo "# *swappiness* for *accumulo*" >> /etc/sysctl.conf
>
> echo "vm.swappiness = 10" >> /etc/sysctl.conf

You should set vm.swappiness to 0. Both Hadoop and Accumulo recommend this.

> <snip>
>
> #accumulo-site.xml
>
> <property>
>
>     <name>general.classpaths</name>
>
>     <value>
>
>       $ACCUMULO_HOME/server/target/classes/,
>
>       $ACCUMULO_HOME/lib/accumulo-server.jar,
>
>       $ACCUMULO_HOME/core/target/classes/,
>
>       $ACCUMULO_HOME/lib/accumulo-core.jar,
>
>       $ACCUMULO_HOME/start/target/classes/,
>
>       $ACCUMULO_HOME/lib/accumulo-start.jar,
>
>       $ACCUMULO_HOME/fate/target/classes/,
>
>       $ACCUMULO_HOME/lib/accumulo-fate.jar,
>
>       $ACCUMULO_HOME/proxy/target/classes/,
>
>       $ACCUMULO_HOME/lib/accumulo-proxy.jar,
>
>       $ACCUMULO_HOME/lib/[^.].*.jar,
>
>       $ZOOKEEPER_HOME/zookeeper[^.].*.jar,
>
>       $HADOOP_CONF_DIR,
>
>       $HADOOP_PREFIX/[^.].*.jar,
>
>       $HADOOP_PREFIX/lib/[^.].*.jar,
>
>       $HADOOP_HDFS_HOME/.*.jar,
>
>       $HADOOP_HDFS_HOME/lib/.*.jar,
>
>       $HADOOP_MAPREDUCE_HOME/.*.jar,
>
>       $HADOOP_MAPREDUCE_HOME/lib/.*.jar
>
>     </value>
>
>     <description>Classpaths that accumulo checks for updates and class
> files.
>
>       When using the Security Manager, please remove the
> ".../target/classes/" values.
>
>     </description>
>
>   </property>

This will give you some warnings about multiple slf4j binaries on CDH4.4.0+
. You can fix it by making sure you only match jars with a version number.

See an example[1].

> then of course, always run your Accumulo binaries/scripts using the HDFS
> account.  I’m sure I’m missing a few steps here and there…

You should avoid running Accumulo as the hdfs super user, both as a matter
of proper separation of concerns and as a practical need if you are going
to run Accumulo in a production environment with multiple HDFS users.

-Sean

[1]: https://gist.github.com/busbey/8285352#file-accumulo-site-cdh4-xml-L99