accumulo-user mailing list archives

From Sean Busbey <busbey+li...@cloudera.com>
Subject Re: accumulo startup issue: Accumulo not initialized, there is no instance id at /accumulo/instance_id
Date Fri, 17 Jan 2014 15:45:26 GMT
On Fri, Jan 17, 2014 at 8:31 AM, Ott, Charles H. <CHARLES.H.OTT@leidos.com>
 wrote:

> Hey Sean,
>
> It looks like nobody has given any updates on the installation procedures…
> Must be too close to the weekend ;)
>

> If you could send me an example of what some of your existing
> documentation looks like, I would be able to better create the installation
> procedures in a format that compliments the existing Cloudera docs.
>

> Thanks,
>
> Charles

Hi Charles!

Currently, I htink the only examples are the README[1] and the installation
section of the user manual[2].

Neither of these are really great examples (the README has already been
flagged as trying to do too much[3]). Perhaps you could pull some of the
getting started stuff out of the README for this. Unfortunately, I don't
think there's been much progress on deciding how we want our documentation
organized[4].

I think the best idea is probably going to be for you to make something
like a quickstart.md (using Apache CMS markdown[5]). That could go in the
codebase under docs/ and we could publish it on the website.

It's important to note that we'd want instructions that don't favor a
particular vendor. Ideally, we'd want the instructions to cover getting
things set up on top of a stack of just Apache releases.

I filed ACCUMULO-2214 so we can track this off the mailing list[6]. Let me
know once you get started and I'll assign the ticket to you.

-Sean

[1]: http://bit.ly/1dst5dP
[2]: http://accumulo.apache.org/1.5/accumulo_user_manual.html#_installation
[3]: https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/ACCUMULO-1515