accumulo-user mailing list archives

From Arshak Navruzyan <arsh...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: ISAM file location vs. read performance
Date Thu, 16 Jan 2014 19:12:04 GMT
I did some manual testing on this to see where HDFS is placing blocks in
relation to the location of the tablets.  I used the following command to
determine where HDFS is replicating the various blocks of the Rfiles.

hadoop fsck /accumulo/tables/a -locations -blocks -files

>From my limited testing, it appears that John's observation that "tserver
with ultimately end up major compacting it's files, ensuring locality" is
indeed true.  In all cases, the node that was responsible for the tablet,
held a copy of all the blocks of that Rfile.

More extensive testing in bigger environments would probably still be
helpful before we write this into the documentation.  Also not sure what
happen during tserver failures/reassignments.

One thing that would make testing much easier is if "getsplits -v" reported
the HDFS location of the tablet.  Right now you have to troll through
!METADATA to figure it out.