accumulo-user mailing list archives

From "Ott, Charles H." <CHARLES.H....@leidos.com>
Subject RE: accumulo startup issue: Accumulo not initialized, there is no instance id at /accumulo/instance_id
Date Thu, 16 Jan 2014 20:06:18 GMT
Sure! I’d like to let this sit on the mailing list for a day or so and get some feedback.
 Then I could polish it up for documentation purposes.

Email me directl, any kind of template, format, or additional thoughts you have in mind so
I don’t get too far off base.

From: user-return-3600-CHARLES.H.OTT=leidos.com@accumulo.apache.org [mailto:user-return-3600-CHARLES.H.OTT=leidos.com@accumulo.apache.org]
On Behalf Of Sean Busbey
Sent: Thursday, January 16, 2014 3:00 PM
To: Accumulo User List
Subject: Re: accumulo startup issue: Accumulo not initialized, there is no instance id at
/accumulo/instance_id

Thanks for the overview Charles!  Any chance I can convince you to polish this up a little
and add it to our user documentation as a quickstart guide?

(Notes inline below)

On Thu, Jan 16, 2014 at 1:50 PM, Ott, Charles H. <CHARLES.H.OTT@leidos.com> wrote:

Disclaimer,

Not advocating this is the best approach, just what I’m currently doing, put this together
pretty quick, but it should be mostly complete for settting up accumulo on cdh hdfs/zk

 <snip>

echo "Increasing Swapiness Factor to limit use of swap space."

echo "# swappiness for accumulo" >> /etc/sysctl.conf

echo "vm.swappiness = 10" >> /etc/sysctl.conf

You should set vm.swappiness to 0. Both Hadoop and Accumulo recommend this.

	<snip>

	#accumulo-site.xml

	<property>

	    <name>general.classpaths</name>

	    <value>

	      $ACCUMULO_HOME/server/target/classes/,

	      $ACCUMULO_HOME/lib/accumulo-server.jar,

	      $ACCUMULO_HOME/core/target/classes/,

	      $ACCUMULO_HOME/lib/accumulo-core.jar,

	      $ACCUMULO_HOME/start/target/classes/,

	      $ACCUMULO_HOME/lib/accumulo-start.jar,

	      $ACCUMULO_HOME/fate/target/classes/,

	      $ACCUMULO_HOME/lib/accumulo-fate.jar,

	      $ACCUMULO_HOME/proxy/target/classes/,

	      $ACCUMULO_HOME/lib/accumulo-proxy.jar,

	      $ACCUMULO_HOME/lib/[^.].*.jar,

	      $ZOOKEEPER_HOME/zookeeper[^.].*.jar,

	      $HADOOP_CONF_DIR,

	      $HADOOP_PREFIX/[^.].*.jar,

	      $HADOOP_PREFIX/lib/[^.].*.jar,

	      $HADOOP_HDFS_HOME/.*.jar,

	      $HADOOP_HDFS_HOME/lib/.*.jar,

	      $HADOOP_MAPREDUCE_HOME/.*.jar,

	      $HADOOP_MAPREDUCE_HOME/lib/.*.jar

	    </value>

	    <description>Classpaths that accumulo checks for updates and class files.

	      When using the Security Manager, please remove the ".../target/classes/" values.

	    </description>

	  </property>

This will give you some warnings about multiple slf4j binaries on CDH4.4.0+ . You can fix
it by making sure you only match jars with a version number.

See an example[1].

	then of course, always run your Accumulo binaries/scripts using the HDFS account.  I’m
sure I’m missing a few steps here and there…

You should avoid running Accumulo as the hdfs super user, both as a matter of proper separation
of concerns and as a practical need if you are going to run Accumulo in a production environment
with multiple HDFS users.

-Sean

[1]: https://gist.github.com/busbey/8285352#file-accumulo-site-cdh4-xml-L99