accumulo-user mailing list archives

From Donald Miner <dmi...@clearedgeit.com>
Subject Re: QFS
Date Tue, 19 Nov 2013 01:29:57 GMT
Another option to add to the list would be EMC's Isilon, though that is a
storage hardware appliance. It's a scale-out NAS that has a number of
protocols on top, HDFS being one of the many. It doesn't actually run
anything that looks like HDFS architecturally, but fakes the NameNode and
DataNode RPC calls so it looks like real HDFS to a client.
http://www.emc.com/big-data/scale-out-storage-hadoop.htm

I used it a few times while I was working for EMC and it was fantastic, but
I never had the chance to try out Accumulo (or HBase). I imagine it might
be good and bad in different ways. I saw some "interesting" performance
profiles for MapReduce where it performed better in some cases and worse in
others and I would expect the same for BigTable access patterns. I think in
Accumulo you might see things like compactions speed up significantly (if
they don't happen all at once), as single file throughput of a beefy isilon
is significantly better than a single drive, and also behind the scenes
Isilon doesn't do 3x replication (it does as raid-5-like striping across
nodes).

-Don