accumulo-user mailing list archives

From Christopher <ctubb...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Getting the IP Address
Date Wed, 28 Aug 2013 20:26:35 GMT
Ah, you're right, of course.

In that case, I'm also wondering about NAT situations and other
strange networking situations. For those especially, it seems what we
need to do is treat the bind address differently from the advertised
address.

Perhaps attempting to use $(hostname -i) and falling back to
$(hostname -I | head -1) would be best?

--
Christopher L Tubbs II
http://gravatar.com/ctubbsii

On Wed, Aug 28, 2013 at 3:03 PM, John Vines <vines@apache.org> wrote:
> Christopher,
>
> It's not a matter of determining which port to bind to. It's for recording
> it's location in zookeeper so other nodes can find it.
>

> On Wed, Aug 28, 2013 at 3:00 PM, Christopher <ctubbsii@apache.org> wrote:
>>
>> I'm not sure this is even very portable. It relies on a specific
>> ifconfig display format intended for human-readability, and I'm not
>> sure that's entirely guaranteed to be static over time. It also won't
>> work if there are multiple public interfaces. It also don't think it
>> works for infiniband or other interface types that have issues in
>> ifconfig.
>>
>> I think we have to make *some* assumptions that things like
>> "networking" is properly configured using standard utilities for
>> name-mapping (like DNS or /etc/hosts). I think it's more confusing for
>> sysadmins if we have these sorts of automatic behaviors that are
>> non-standard and unexpected (like automatically binding to a single,
>> arbitrarily chosen, public IP out of the box).
>>
>> Honestly, though, I'm not sure why we need to be resolving public IP
>> addresses *at all*. It should be configured explicitly, and bind to
>> either 127.0.0.1 or 0.0.0.0 by default (to satisfy the ease for
>> first-time users).
>>

>> --
>> Christopher L Tubbs II
>> http://gravatar.com/ctubbsii
>>

>> On Wed, Aug 28, 2013 at 1:54 PM, John Vines <vines@apache.org> wrote:
>> > We use this similar logic throughout a lot of our scripts for
>> > determining
>> > the external facing IP address in a portable manner, it's just that the
>> > init.d scripts are a bit more strict about it. This is the equivalent of
>> > using the name defined in the slaves/masters/tracers/etc. files to
>> > determine
>> > which port to report as.
>> >
>> > Switching to a system that depends on DNS to succeed will fail for all
>> > first
>> > time users, which is a penalty that will not be worth it. If someone can
>> > find a better way to determine outward facing IP address I would love to
>> > have it, but unfortunately networks are hard.
>> >

>> > On Wed, Aug 28, 2013 at 1:44 PM, Billie Rinaldi
>> > <billie.rinaldi@gmail.com>

I can't