accumulo-user mailing list archives

From John Vines <vi...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Getting the IP Address
Date Wed, 28 Aug 2013 17:54:16 GMT
We use this similar logic throughout a lot of our scripts for determining
the external facing IP address in a portable manner, it's just that the
init.d scripts are a bit more strict about it. This is the equivalent of
using the name defined in the slaves/masters/tracers/etc. files to
determine which port to report as.

Switching to a system that depends on DNS to succeed will fail for all
first time users, which is a penalty that will not be worth it. If someone
can find a better way to determine outward facing IP address I would love
to have it, but unfortunately networks are hard.