accumulo-user mailing list archives

From Ravi Mutyala <r...@hortonworks.com>
Subject Re: Getting the IP Address
Date Wed, 28 Aug 2013 21:01:55 GMT
I think for HDFS, scripts just send the hostname and the ip is resolved in
org.apache.hadoop.net.NetUtils

Below code takes the host and gets the address.

public static InetSocketAddress createSocketAddrForHost(String host, int
port) {
    String staticHost = getStaticResolution(host);
    String resolveHost = (staticHost != null) ? staticHost : host;

    InetSocketAddress addr;
    try {
      InetAddress iaddr = SecurityUtil.getByName(resolveHost);
      // if there is a static entry for the host, make the returned
      // address look like the original given host
      if (staticHost != null) {
        iaddr = InetAddress.getByAddress(host, iaddr.getAddress());
      }
      addr = new InetSocketAddress(iaddr, port);
    } catch (UnknownHostException e) {
      addr = InetSocketAddress.createUnresolved(host, port);
    }
    return addr;
  }

I tried with DNS or/etc/hosts set on RHEL and they are resolving the
correct IP address. I tried a similar sample code on mac and that was
working too. I think hadoop assumes either DNS or /etc/hosts to be set. I
think it would be a fair assumption to make for accumulo as well.

Thoughts?

On Wed, Aug 28, 2013 at 3:44 PM, Adam Fuchs <afuchs@apache.org> wrote:

> Seems like a question a common and complex as which IP address to listen
> on would have a fair amount of precedent in open-source projects that we
> could pull from. Are we reinventing the wheel? Does anyone have an example
> of an application like ours with the same set of supported platforms that
> has already solved this problem and whose solution you like? Are there
> elements of what we do that make us better/worse/different that something
> like the scripting and networking code built for HBase or HDFS?
>
> Adam
>

> On Wed, Aug 28, 2013 at 1:35 PM, Keith Turner <keith@deenlo.com> wrote:
>

>> On Wed, Aug 28, 2013 at 4:26 PM, Christopher <ctubbsii@apache.org> wrote:
>>
>>> Ah, you're right, of course.
>>>
>>> In that case, I'm also wondering about NAT situations and other
>>> strange networking situations. For those especially, it seems what we
>>> need to do is treat the bind address differently from the advertised
>>> address.
>>>
>>> Perhaps attempting to use $(hostname -i) and falling back to
>>> $(hostname -I | head -1) would be best?
>>>

>> I just noticed one wrinkle with "hostname -I",  it may return IPV6
>> addresses.   When I first looked at the man page, I thought it would
>> exclude IPV6.  But on closes inspection I noticed it excludes "IPv6
>> link-local addresses".  So hostname -I will probably cause problems if the
>> first thing it returns is a IPV6 addr.
>>

>>> --
>>> Christopher L Tubbs II
>>> http://gravatar.com/ctubbsii