accumulo-user mailing list archives

From "Ott, Charles H." <CHARLES.H....@saic.com>
Subject RE: Getting the IP Address
Date Wed, 28 Aug 2013 19:38:42 GMT
Ifconfig is part of the net-tools 1.60 package.  It hasn't been updated
since 2006 and 2001 before that.  I believe most linux distros use this
package as a dependency of their core packages.

But you are right, it will be deprecated eventually and should only be
assumed to work on platforms that support it.

http://freecode.com/projects/net-tools

-----Original Message-----
From: user-return-2957-CHARLES.H.OTT=saic.com@accumulo.apache.org
[mailto:user-return-2957-CHARLES.H.OTT=saic.com@accumulo.apache.org] On
Behalf Of Christopher
Sent: Wednesday, August 28, 2013 3:00 PM
To: Accumulo User List
Subject: Re: Getting the IP Address

I'm not sure this is even very portable. It relies on a specific
ifconfig display format intended for human-readability, and I'm not sure
that's entirely guaranteed to be static over time. It also won't work if
there are multiple public interfaces. It also don't think it works for
infiniband or other interface types that have issues in ifconfig.

I think we have to make *some* assumptions that things like "networking"
is properly configured using standard utilities for name-mapping (like
DNS or /etc/hosts). I think it's more confusing for sysadmins if we have
these sorts of automatic behaviors that are non-standard and unexpected
(like automatically binding to a single, arbitrarily chosen, public IP
out of the box).

Honestly, though, I'm not sure why we need to be resolving public IP
addresses *at all*. It should be configured explicitly, and bind to
either 127.0.0.1 or 0.0.0.0 by default (to satisfy the ease for
first-time users).

--
Christopher L Tubbs II
http://gravatar.com/ctubbsii