accumulo-user mailing list archives

From "Ott, Charles H." <CHARLES.H....@saic.com>
Subject RE: Getting the IP Address
Date Wed, 28 Aug 2013 17:41:26 GMT
I believe the same script would be used on a  local development VM.
Since I don't have DNS for my host-only vm adapter, a reverse dns lookup
would fail.

From: user-return-2944-CHARLES.H.OTT=saic.com@accumulo.apache.org
[mailto:user-return-2944-CHARLES.H.OTT=saic.com@accumulo.apache.org] On
Behalf Of Ravi Mutyala
Sent: Wednesday, August 28, 2013 11:39 AM
To: user@accumulo.apache.org
Subject: Getting the IP Address

Hi,

I see from the accumulo-tracer init.d script that IP is determined by
this logic.

ifconfig | grep inet[^6] | awk '{print $2}' | sed 's/addr://' | grep -v
0.0.0.0 | grep -v 127.0.0.1 | head -n 1

Any reason for using this logic instead of a hostname -i and using
reverse dns lookup? I have a cluster where the order of nics on one of
the nodes is in a different order and ifconfig returns a IP from a
different subnet than for other nodes. But DNS and reverse DNS are
properly configured.

Thanks

CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE
NOTICE: This message is intended for the use of the individual or entity
to which it is addressed and may contain information that is
confidential, privileged and exempt from disclosure under applicable
law. If the reader of this message is not the intended recipient, you
are hereby notified that any printing, copying, dissemination,
distribution, disclosure or forwarding of this communication is strictly
contact the sender immediately and delete it from your system. Thank
You.