accumulo-user mailing list archives

From Donald Miner <dmi...@clearedgeit.com>
Subject Re: Use of second LAN?
Date Thu, 29 Aug 2013 15:22:10 GMT
The last time i tried this with hadoop there were hostname/ip issues. Nothing that couldnt
be fixed probably but it was a pain enough that I gave up.

On Aug 29, 2013, at 11:12 AM, Kurt Christensen <hoodel@hoodel.com> wrote:

> I've seen bonded implementations too, but because I have non-bonded hosts on the LAN,
I don't think I can do that without investing in new network hardware.

> On 8/29/13 11:03 AM, John Vines wrote:
>> I've never seen anyone do this before, so I can't say. But as long as the hostname
resolves to an appropriate IP it should work. Keep in mind, that things register in ZK by
IP address so you're not really going to see that much impact in that regard. Furthermore,
the majority of the network use is going to be HDFS, and I really don't have the knowledge
to make a call on how that will behave, but my hopes aren't high that this sort of optimization
will help either.

>> Traditionally in these setups, I've seen the two NICs bonded. Let the lower OS levels
handle the traffic management IMO.

>> On Thu, Aug 29, 2013 at 9:42 AM, Kurt Christensen <hoodel@hoodel.com <mailto:hoodel@hoodel.com>>
wrote:

>>    I currently have eight worker machines are on two Gbit LANs. Right
>>    now, they are configured:
>>
>>    10.10.0.0/24 <http://10.10.0.0/24> with cloud1=10.10.0.11 ...
>>    cloud8=10.10.0.18 ... plus a small number of other machines
>>    10.10.10.0/24 <http://10.10.10.0/24> with c1=10.10.10.11 ...
>>    c8=10.10.10.18 ... on a dedicated switch all by themselves.
>>
>>    To make use of the full bandwith of both LANs, I had thought of
>>    playing with /etc/hosts files to switch networks for each machine
>>    with a higher address than the host in question. Think of it as
>>    one LAN flows only uphill, the other flows only downhill. So on
>>    machine Cloud4, for example, the hosts file would appear as...
>>
>>    127.0.0.1   localhost localhost.localdomain localhost4
>>    localhost4.localdomain4
>>    ::1         localhost localhost.localdomain localhost6
>>    localhost6.localdomain6
>>    10.10.0.8 macpro.hoodel.com <http://macpro.hoodel.com> macpro
>>    10.10.0.9 mstore.hoodel.com <http://mstore.hoodel.com> mstore
>>    10.10.0.10 bridge.hoodel.com <http://bridge.hoodel.com> bridge
>>    10.10.0.11 cloud1.hoodel.com <http://cloud1.hoodel.com> cloud1
>>    10.10.0.12 cloud2.hoodel.com <http://cloud2.hoodel.com> cloud2
>>    10.10.0.13 cloud3.hoodel.com <http://cloud3.hoodel.com> cloud3
>>    10.10.0.14 cloud4.hoodel.com <http://cloud4.hoodel.com> cloud4
>>    10.10.0.15 c5.hoodel.com <http://c5.hoodel.com> c5
>>    10.10.0.16 c6.hoodel.com <http://c6.hoodel.com> c6
>>    10.10.0.17 c7.hoodel.com <http://c7.hoodel.com> c7
>>    10.10.0.18 c8.hoodel.com <http://c8.hoodel.com> c8
>>    10.10.10.11 c1.hoodel.com <http://c1.hoodel.com> c1
>>    10.10.10.12 c2.hoodel.com <http://c2.hoodel.com> c2
>>    10.10.10.13 c3.hoodel.com <http://c3.hoodel.com> c3
>>    10.10.10.14 c4.hoodel.com <http://c4.hoodel.com> c4
>>    10.10.10.15 cloud5.hoodel.com <http://cloud5.hoodel.com> cloud5
>>    10.10.10.16 cloud6.hoodel.com <http://cloud6.hoodel.com> cloud6
>>    10.10.10.17 cloud7.hoodel.com <http://cloud7.hoodel.com> cloud7
>>    10.10.10.18 cloud8.hoodel.com <http://cloud8.hoodel.com> cloud8
>>
>>    Question: How many services would this approach break?
>>
>>    Kurt
>
> --
>
> Kurt Christensen
> P.O. Box 811
> Westminster, MD 21158-0811

> Citizens of the democratic societies should undertake a course of intellectual self defense
to protect themselves from manipulation and control, and to lay the basis for meaningful democracy.
-- Noam Chomsky

--
 This communication is the property of ClearEdge IT Solutions, LLC and may
contain confidential and/or privileged information. Any review,