accumulo-user mailing list archives

From "Smith, Joshua D." <Joshua.Sm...@gd-ais.com>
Subject RE: Getting the IP Address
Date Wed, 28 Aug 2013 21:10:18 GMT
If you go this route, be sure to try it on multiple platforms as users with root and non-root
privileges. Something rings a bell in my head about the permissions for InetSocketAddress
being different between the platforms' Java implementations, but I can't find my notes on
the matter. The platforms that I was working with in this context in the past were Linux,
Solaris and Windows.

Josh

From: Ravi Mutyala [mailto:ravi@hortonworks.com]
Sent: Wednesday, August 28, 2013 5:02 PM
To: user@accumulo.apache.org
Subject: Re: Getting the IP Address

I think for HDFS, scripts just send the hostname and the ip is resolved in org.apache.hadoop.net.NetUtils
Below code takes the host and gets the address.

public static InetSocketAddress createSocketAddrForHost(String host, int port) {
    String staticHost = getStaticResolution(host);
    String resolveHost = (staticHost != null) ? staticHost : host;

    InetSocketAddress addr;
    try {
      InetAddress iaddr = SecurityUtil.getByName(resolveHost);
      // if there is a static entry for the host, make the returned
      // address look like the original given host
      if (staticHost != null) {
        iaddr = InetAddress.getByAddress(host, iaddr.getAddress());
      }
      addr = new InetSocketAddress(iaddr, port);
    } catch (UnknownHostException e) {
      addr = InetSocketAddress.createUnresolved(host, port);
    }
    return addr;
  }

I tried with DNS or/etc/hosts set on RHEL and they are resolving the correct IP address. I
tried a similar sample code on mac and that was working too. I think hadoop assumes either
DNS or /etc/hosts to be set. I think it would be a fair assumption to make for accumulo as
well.
Thoughts?

On Wed, Aug 28, 2013 at 3:44 PM, Adam Fuchs <afuchs@apache.org<mailto:afuchs@apache.org>>