accumulo-user mailing list archives

From Aaron G <aarongm...@gmail.com>
Subject Newbie question: where do the services live?
Date Wed, 01 May 2013 19:57:59 GMT
Generic/best practices question about the 6 services:  master, gc, tserver,
logger, monitor, tracer

For this example/discussion let's say I have a cluster, with 10 nodes
(n01-n10)...3 of the nodes running zookeeper

n01:  NameNode, zooKeeper
n02:  SecondaryNameNode, zooKeeper
n03:  JobTracker, zooKeeper
n04:  empty (for now)

Let's label these storage/compute nodes:
n05-n10:  dataNode, taskTracker

So, how i thought this could be setup for Accumulo services:

n04:  master & gc
n05-n10:  each runs a tserver & logger

I think my main questions revolve around the monitor & tracer services and
where they run:

1.  Does those need to run on every "compute node"?
2.  Do you only need one running instance of monitor?  Perhaps on the n04?
 Or does it need to run on every tserver as well?
3.  Do you only need the tracer service running on compute nodes?  Or
everywhere (master & gc included)?  Do you only need the tracer for the
purpose of development of Iterators, Scanners, Writers?  They primarily
there to help with that activity?  Or are they useful to have running "all
the time?"

Thanks in advance,
Aaron