accumulo-user mailing list archives

From Josh Elser <josh.el...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: PermGen leak in JBoss
Date Wed, 24 Apr 2013 14:12:03 GMT
Giving a quick glance at that code again, the only thing I see that
would be active is the ZooKeeperInstance (ZooCache) which will try to
stay connected/updated to ZooKeeper. However, that should also
disconnect/expire itself.

What's the time frame in which you're redeploying your webapp (within a
few seconds, minutes)? Also, threadname/stacktrace for said 5 threads
would be helpful/enlightening.

On 4/24/13 9:48 AM, Michael Giordano wrote:
> Under version 1.3.7 we are using the following code to initialize a cloudbase connection
during initialization of our web app:

> 			ZooKeeperInstance instance = new ZooKeeperInstance(instanceName, zooKeepers);
> 			connector = instance.getConnector(userId, password.getBytes());
>
> The problem is that under the hood, this call creates several (5) threads that are not
cleaned up when the app is undeployed in JBoss. This is occurring without performing any scans
or interacting with cloudbase in any other way. After relatively few redeploys of the app,
the PermGen Space is OOM.

> I can't find any reference in the cloudbase API akin to a close() method for the Connector
object. This is a classloader leak effecting any webapp that is accessing cloudbase directly.
The result of this leak is not simply orphaned threads, but thousands of classes not gc'd
because the classloader itself can't be gc'd. This is what is filling up PermGen.