accumulo-user mailing list archives

From ameet kini <ameetk...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: number of query threads for batch scanner
Date Fri, 28 Sep 2012 13:35:10 GMT
Thanks Eric and Keith.

Is there any reason why the number of concurrent scans on a given tablet
server depends on the number of tablets and not the number of cores on that
tablet server? I'm looking at TabletServerBatchReaderIterator.doLookups.

Take Keith's example:

 * For 1000 ranges that map to 1 tablet, it will execute 1 concurrent scan.

Say, I had 8 cores on that tablet server and my tablet is large enough to
warrant 8 concurrent scans. Sure, I can go about and further split my
tablet, and get 8 concurrent scans - I ended up doing that. But is there
any reason why 8 concurrent scans can't go against a single tablet? Maybe
its difficult to estimate benefits of parallelism at that level, and its
best left to users to tune the number of tablets, and base the level of
parallelism on the number of tablets?

Btw, the shell utility "merge -s <size>" rocks :)

Thanks,
Ameet