accumulo-user mailing list archives

From Billie Rinaldi <bil...@apache.org>
Subject Re: EXTERNAL: Re: Iterators and seeking the middle of a row
Date Fri, 14 Sep 2012 14:08:42 GMT
On Thu, Sep 13, 2012 at 4:44 PM, Cardon, Tejay E <tejay.e.cardon@lmco.com>wrote:

>  Excellent, thank you William.  That raises an interesting point for me.
> In my case, as with the IntersectingIterator, the schema of my iterator’s
> topKey and topValue is not the same as the schema for the underlying source.
> ****
>
> ** **
>
> In IntersectingIterator, for example, the underlying source has data in
> the format;****
>
> ** **
>
> row: shardID, colfam: term, colqual: docID****
>
> ** **
>
> But the data being returned by the iterator is in the form****
>
> ** **
>
> row: shardID, colfam: (empty), colqual: docID****
>
> ** **
>
> Would I expect a seek on that iterator to have a range based on the ColF
> and ColQ being returned, or the ones being used on the sources?****
>
> ** **
>
> It appears from the code of IntersectingIterator that seek is called based
> on the out-going schema, and the code then translates the keys in the range
> into the source schema before seeking the sources.

Yes, I believe that is correct.  The seek is passed down through the
iterator stack, so an iterator that changes the schema has an opportunity
to adjust the range when seeking its sources.  We recently discovered that
the behavior with column filtering is not as intuitive.  When you fetch
columns with a scanner, column filters are created at the system level (so
they'll be sources for user level iterators) and they are passed the set of
fetched columns directly, without giving the user iterators a chance to
transform the columns.  This doesn't come up with the IntersectingIterator
because it manages the columns itself (there's no reason to fetch columns
with it), but in general this would be something to watch out for when
writing schema-transforming iterators.

Billie

****