accumulo-user mailing list archives

From "Cardon, Tejay E" <tejay.e.car...@lmco.com>
Subject RE: EXTERNAL: Re: Iterators and seeking the middle of a row
Date Fri, 14 Sep 2012 14:37:55 GMT
So, if I understand what you're saying correctly, I would need to pass the raw source columns
as my column constraint, and then use some other mechanism to control the columns in my seek
calls.  That way, I ensure that bottom level iterator has the raw columns it needs, but the
intermediate Iterators can then be adjusted with crafted calls to seek() with appropriate
adjustments to the columns argument?  Is that correct?

Thanks,
Tejay

From: Billie Rinaldi [mailto:billie@apache.org]
Sent: Friday, September 14, 2012 8:09 AM
To: user@accumulo.apache.org
Subject: Re: EXTERNAL: Re: Iterators and seeking the middle of a row

On Thu, Sep 13, 2012 at 4:44 PM, Cardon, Tejay E <tejay.e.cardon@lmco.com<mailto:tejay.e.cardon@lmco.com>>
wrote:
Excellent, thank you William.  That raises an interesting point for me.  In my case, as with
the IntersectingIterator, the schema of my iterator's topKey and topValue is not the same
as the schema for the underlying source.

In IntersectingIterator, for example, the underlying source has data in the format;

row: shardID, colfam: term, colqual: docID

But the data being returned by the iterator is in the form

row: shardID, colfam: (empty), colqual: docID

Would I expect a seek on that iterator to have a range based on the ColF and ColQ being returned,
or the ones being used on the sources?

It appears from the code of IntersectingIterator that seek is called based on the out-going
schema, and the code then translates the keys in the range into the source schema before seeking
the sources.

Yes, I believe that is correct.  The seek is passed down through the iterator stack, so an
iterator that changes the schema has an opportunity to adjust the range when seeking its sources.
 We recently discovered that the behavior with column filtering is not as intuitive.  When
you fetch columns with a scanner, column filters are created at the system level (so they'll
be sources for user level iterators) and they are passed the set of fetched columns directly,
without giving the user iterators a chance to transform the columns.  This doesn't come up
with the IntersectingIterator because it manages the columns itself (there's no reason to
fetch columns with it), but in general this would be something to watch out for when writing
schema-transforming iterators.

Billie

Thanks,
Tejay