accumulo-user mailing list archives

From "Cardon, Tejay E" <tejay.e.car...@lmco.com>
Subject RE: EXTERNAL: Re: Iterators and seeking the middle of a row
Date Thu, 13 Sep 2012 23:44:58 GMT
Excellent, thank you William.  That raises an interesting point for me.  In my case, as with
the IntersectingIterator, the schema of my iterator's topKey and topValue is not the same
as the schema for the underlying source.

In IntersectingIterator, for example, the underlying source has data in the format;

row: shardID, colfam: term, colqual: docID

But the data being returned by the iterator is in the form

row: shardID, colfam: (empty), colqual: docID

Would I expect a seek on that iterator to have a range based on the ColF and ColQ being returned,
or the ones being used on the sources?

It appears from the code of IntersectingIterator that seek is called based on the out-going
schema, and the code then translates the keys in the range into the source schema before seeking
the sources.

Thanks,
Tejay

From: William Slacum [mailto:wilhelm.von.cloud@accumulo.net]
Sent: Thursday, September 13, 2012 4:39 PM
To: user@accumulo.apache.org
Subject: EXTERNAL: Re: Iterators and seeking the middle of a row

Another thing to keep in mind is that the documentation is actually meant to enforce the notion
that, between returning keys, your iterator could be destroyed and reconstituted. If an iterator
is originally given a range, ("a", "c"), and it returns a key "b", the system *may* deconstruct
the iterator stack and at a later time, reinitialize it with the range ("b", "c"), since "b"
was the last place your iterator stack was known to be at.
On Thu, Sep 13, 2012 at 3:34 PM, William Slacum <wilhelm.von.cloud@accumulo.net<mailto:wilhelm.von.cloud@accumulo.net>>