accumulo-user mailing list archives

From Aji Janis <aji1...@gmail.com>
Subject Hardware failure and data protection
Date Mon, 13 Aug 2012 16:31:18 GMT
I am very new to Hadoop and Accumulo. I need some information on how data
is backed up or guaranteed against system failures (if it is).I am
considering setting up a Hadoop cluster consisting of 5 nodes where each
node has 3 internal hard drives. I understand HDFS has a configurable
redundancy feature but what happens if an entire drive crashes (physically)
for whatever reason? How does Hadoop recover, if it can, from this
situation? More specifically, I am assuming Accumulo uses HDFS redundancy
to make back ups of the data.

One, is this assumption true?
Two, if I had a copy of the hard drive and I duplicate that to a new drive
and pop it in where the old/crashed drive used to be would this work?

I apologize if this is a really stupid question. But I highly appreciate
any help, pointers and suggestions! Thanks in advance.