accumulo-user mailing list archives

From Marc Parisi <m...@accumulo.net>
Subject Re: Security and data design advice on structuring data on accumulo
Date Wed, 08 Aug 2012 22:29:21 GMT
Just some ideas and thoughts....

With a system I'm building I have code to take care of user roles. Roles
will define visibilities, how analysis is performed, information sharing,
etc. I have a particular role for sharing. I also have an area of interest,
usually assigned to a physician role, therefore only a physician's office
can see certain data from it. The data corresponding to a given person can
be accessed by that person ( if they have app access ), the physician that
created it, and other physicians ( with a different area of interest ) with
whom the user wants to share their data. Each area of interest will be
cryptographically secured. Our approach will utilize multiple crypto
technologies. I would suggest making crypto your last stop. Focus on
getting the visibility hierarchy designed. HIPAA requirements can come
later.

In my approach, there is no elevation of fields per se. Instead, there are
visibiilities for all assigned parties,so in my case it is a matter of
labeling. The data can have hierarchies, and each hierarchy has different
labels to control access.

" Patient demographic fields are PHI (personal health information) and
these should not be visible to all who want to perform analysis, but
only to main administrators,
patient and maybe physician. I assume these would have to have
separate authorization label. "

Yes. I think this is where roles will help. Assign roles and visibilities
to those roles. As of right now, I'm putting ephemeral data in my
visibilities ( user ID for a physician, among other things ). I will
probably move this to the qualifier and take a more simple approach to
visibilities.

Each role has different actions. Right now I have four actions; syncing,
querying, deleting, and sharing. You don't have to capture actions, but you
might want to limit how the roles of users vary, and I think modeling the
security actions within each role is an excellent way to do so.