accumulo-user mailing list archives

From "Cardon, Tejay E" <tejay.e.car...@lmco.com>
Subject RE: EXTERNAL: Re: C++ Pipes for Accumulo
Date Tue, 14 Aug 2012 15:59:35 GMT
Great.  Thanks Billie.  I'll have to dig into our algorithms a bit more to determine if a pure
Java implementation can compete with a JNI + C++ implementation.  Generally I think Java keeps
up, but we may be doing some heavy math that is just plain faster in C++.

Tejay

From: Billie Rinaldi [mailto:billie@apache.org]
Sent: Tuesday, August 14, 2012 9:48 AM
To: user@accumulo.apache.org
Subject: EXTERNAL: Re: C++ Pipes for Accumulo

On Mon, Aug 13, 2012 at 6:46 PM, Cardon, Tejay E <tejay.e.cardon@lmco.com<mailto:tejay.e.cardon@lmco.com>>
wrote:
All,
Is there an easy way to leverage C++ in Accumulo; perhaps something similar to Hadoop pipes?

In my case we have some C++ code that we'd like to leverage for a FilteringIterator, but we'd
prefer not to port it over to Java, and we'd like to avoid JNI if we can.

No, there isn't an easy way to do that.  It would be possible to use Hadoop pipes with Accumulo
by manually deserializing Keys, but that wouldn't help for an Iterator.  If you go the JNI
route, taking a look at the native map code might be helpful.

Billie

Thanks,
Tejay