accumulo-user mailing list archives

From "Sukant Hajra" <qn2b6c2...@snkmail.com>
Subject Re: strategies beyond intersecting iterators?
Date Mon, 02 Jul 2012 03:57:56 GMT
Excerpts from Sukant Hajra's message of Thu Jun 28 15:49:11 -0500 2012:

> The Accumulo documentation alludes to the problem a little:
>
>     If the results are unordered this is quite effective as the first results
>     to arrive are as good as any others to the user.
>
> In our case, order matters because we want the last results without pulling in
> everything.

Actually, I was just thinking about this a little.  I don't know if this is
specified in the documentation, but is there /any/ reliable (deterministic)
ordering for the values returned by intersecting iterators?

If there is, would it be horribly ill-advised to rely on this ordering for
application logic if we got clever with our schema?

Also, if someone could reply with the exact algorithm for this ordering, it
would help put less burden on us to reverse engineer and/or read the source
code correctly.

Thanks for your help,
Sukant