accumulo-user mailing list archives

From "Cardon, Tejay E" <tejay.e.car...@lmco.com>
Subject RE: EXTERNAL: Re: Accumulo and file locality
Date Mon, 25 Jun 2012 17:56:46 GMT
John, let me make sure I understand.  When a tserver is running on the same physical box as
a datanode, it will write to the local disk.  HDFS will then replicate that write across the
network.  When I read from that tserver, it will not need a network read (assuming no failures).
 Is that correct?

Thanks,
Tejay

From: John Vines [mailto:john.w.vines@ugov.gov]
Sent: Monday, June 25, 2012 11:46 AM
To: user@accumulo.apache.org
Subject: EXTERNAL: Re: Accumulo and file locality

When a tserver writes, it writes out to hdfs. When you utilize the hdfs api, data will be
written first to the local datanode. So it does go to local disk, but it's local disk as well
as others via datanodes. So each tserver should run a datanode so you actually get locality.
If there is no datanode where the tserver is, then all reads and writes go over the network,
which is suboptimal.

John
On Mon, Jun 25, 2012 at 1:21 PM, William Slacum <wslacum@gmail.com<mailto:wslacum@gmail.com>>