accumulo-user mailing list archives

From Sean Pines <spine...@gmail.com>
Subject Deleting rows from the Java API
Date Wed, 09 May 2012 14:31:46 GMT
*<http://accumulo.apache.org/1.4/apidocs/org/apache/accumulo/core/client/admin/TableOperations.html#deleteRows%28java.lang.String,%20org.apache.hadoop.io.Text,%20org.apache.hadoop.io.Text%29>
*I have a use case that involves me removing a record from Accumulo based
on the Row ID and the Column Family.

In the shell, I noticed the command "deletemany" which allows you to
specify column family/column qualifier. Is there an equivalent of this in
the Java API?

In the Java API, I noticed the method:
deleteRows(String tableName, org.apache.hadoop.io.Text start,
org.apache.hadoop.io.Text end)
         Delete rows between (start, end]

However that only seems to work for deleting a range of RowIDs

I would also imagine that deleting rows is costly; is there a better way to
approach something like this?
The workaround I have for now is to just overwrite the row with an empty
string in the value field and ignore any entries that have that. However
this just leaves lingering rows for each "delete" and I'd like to avoid
that if at all possible.

Thanks!