accumulo-user mailing list archives

From Josh Elser <josh.el...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Node.js, RabbitMQ, and Accumulo
Date Fri, 04 May 2012 03:48:34 GMT
Thanks Sterling, I can whip up a talk about the general premise of what
I implemented and what I believe the merits of the approach are.

I'm planning on expanding on the idea to support bi-directional data.
Will probably look into making a little app in node with Express as well
to support retrieval and display. Perhaps I'll also make an index over
time in addition to the data the app currently creates.

Depending on your timeline and my productivity at home, I can give a
talk about the latter in addition to the former.

- Josh

On 05/03/2012 08:42 PM, Sterling Foster wrote:
> Josh,
>
> Very nice. Would you be willing to give a talk at the next cloud meeting?
>
> Sterling
>

> Sent from my iPad
>
> On May 2, 2012, at 9:46 PM, Josh Elser<josh.elser@gmail.com>  wrote:
>
>> A while back, I wrote some code as a proof of concept to use node.js (an event-driven,
server-side Javascript environment) as a way to ingest data into Accumulo. I think it's a
cool example of alternative ways to get data into Accumulo, so I cleaned up what I wrote and
posted it to Github.

>> https://github.com/joshelser/node-accumulo
>>
>> Using RabbitMQ (open source message broker which implements the AMQP standard) and
a node.js plugin for AMQP, I was able to send data from a node.js process, through RabbitMQ,
into a background Java process which inserts the data into Accumulo.

>> The example is a contrived website hit-tracking application (think Google Analytics).
When a user visits a website, an HTTP request -- with the client IP, server IP, and current
timestamp in the query string -- is made to an HTTP server running inside of the node.js process.
This information then makes its way into Accumulo as a key-value pair.

>> I hope to expand on this some more, but I wanted to share the existing concept with
everyone. Instructions and additional information can be found on the project page. Feedback
is welcome!