accumulo-user mailing list archives

From Josh Elser <josh.el...@gmail.com>
Subject Node.js, RabbitMQ, and Accumulo
Date Thu, 03 May 2012 01:46:47 GMT
A while back, I wrote some code as a proof of concept to use node.js (an
event-driven, server-side Javascript environment) as a way to ingest
data into Accumulo. I think it's a cool example of alternative ways to
get data into Accumulo, so I cleaned up what I wrote and posted it to
Github.

https://github.com/joshelser/node-accumulo

Using RabbitMQ (open source message broker which implements the AMQP
standard) and a node.js plugin for AMQP, I was able to send data from a
node.js process, through RabbitMQ, into a background Java process which
inserts the data into Accumulo.

The example is a contrived website hit-tracking application (think
Google Analytics). When a user visits a website, an HTTP request -- with
the client IP, server IP, and current timestamp in the query string --
is made to an HTTP server running inside of the node.js process. This
information then makes its way into Accumulo as a key-value pair.

I hope to expand on this some more, but I wanted to share the existing
concept with everyone. Instructions and additional information can be
found on the project page. Feedback is welcome!

- Josh