accumulo-user mailing list archives

From Keys Botzum <kbot...@maprtech.com>
Subject Re: Accumulo on MapR Continued - LargeRowTest
Date Wed, 18 Apr 2012 17:17:57 GMT
Thanks to the help of Keith, Todd, and Eric, as well as MapR engineering, all of the Accumulo
tests is test/system/auto are now passing. Note that the latelastcontact test only passes
if I actually install zookeeper on the host. This is because of the dependency on zkCli.sh
that I mentioned earlier.

The final piece of the puzzle was that MapR does aggressive read ahead caching of data as
well as aggregation of writes to improve performance. As with Hbase, we don't think this type
of behavior is helpful with something like Accumulo. In our specific case, the interaction
between Accumulo and MapR's behavior results in the large row test failing.

So now I have one more question. To disable the caching and aggregation behavior, we need
to set these properties:
<property>
<name>fs.mapr.readbuffering</name>
<value>false</value>
</property>

<property>
<name>fs.mapr.aggregate.writes</name>
<value>false</value>
</property>

If I set them in core-site.xml they of course work but that's a global setting. I want to
only affect Accumulo. If I set them in accumulo-site.xml, I presume they take effect for normal
Accumulo usage, but I'm nearly certain that settings in accumulo-site.xml do not affect the
tests as I posted earlier. How can I set those two properties in a way that will cause the
tests temporary configuration to take them into account? I tried editing TestUtils.py TestUtilsMixin
settings as did work for the Accumulo property table.file.compress.type, but the MapR related
properties don't seem to take. Ideas?

Also, if all of the auto tests pass successfully do you feel comfortable that the testing
was sufficient or do you recommend running additional tests?

Thanks!
Keys
Keys Botzum
Senior Principal Technologist