accumulo-user mailing list archives

From Keith Turner <ke...@deenlo.com>
Subject Re: Accumulo fails to start
Date Thu, 15 Mar 2012 18:49:58 GMT
For some reason the Java dir structure has been sliced and diced in
strange ways on the mac.  I found the following was a recommended way
to set java home on a mac.  This executes a program that tells you
what java home is.

export JAVA_HOME=`/usr/libexec/java_home`

On Thu, Mar 15, 2012 at 2:27 PM, Robert Vesse <rvesse@yarcdata.com> wrote:
> I am a fairly recent (and reluctant) convert to Mac so am still somewhat
> vague on correct paths, setting it to /Library/Java/Home in the
> accumulo-env.sh and doing an export JAVA_HOME=/Library/Java/Home were
> sufficient to get me going
>
> Thanks
>
> Rob
>
> On Mar 14, 2012, at 5:39 PM, Eric Newton wrote:
>
> Well, JAVA_HOME expects a certain file layout... for example, on my mac
> laptop, /Library/Java/Home works, but on Linux it's completely different.
>
> It is especially sensitive when building the JNI libs for the native map.
>
> Since it is hard to debug different configurations on different platforms,
> it would be great if you could document what works for you.
>
> -Eric
>
> On Wed, Mar 14, 2012 at 4:05 PM, Robert Vesse <rvesse@yarcdata.com> wrote:
>>
>> I have tried to set it in that script but the scripts don't seem to accept
>> it - this is further confused by the fact that a couple of days ago
>> everything worked without any issues and I haven't changed my config at all
>>
>> A which java on my command line will give /usr/bin/java as the path but
>> setting JAVA_HOME to this causes scripts to fail completely because they
>> blindly append /bin/java to the path, yet bizarrely setting it to /usr gives
>> the warning seen in my email
>>
>> I will experiment and see whether this is the cause of the issue but
>> should there not be a way to actually show a useful error message to the
>> user in this case?
>>
>> Rob
>>
>> On Mar 14, 2012, at 12:56 PM, Eric Newton wrote:
>>
>> Are you setting JAVA_HOME in conf/accumulo-env.sh ?
>>
>> If you are setting configuration in your environment, it may not survive
>> an ssh to localhost.
>>
>> -Eric
>>
>> On Wed, Mar 14, 2012 at 3:51 PM, Robert Vesse <rvesse@yarcdata.com> wrote:
>>>
>>> I'm having problems with Accumulo not starting correctly - yet from the
>>> command line it looks to start fine i.e. when I run bin/start-all.sh I see
>>> the following output:
>>>
>>> Starting tablet servers and loggers .... done
>>> Unable to find a $JAVA_HOME at "/usr", continuing with system-provided
>>> Java...
>>> Unable to find a $JAVA_HOME at "/usr", continuing with system-provided
>>> Java...
>>> Starting logger on localhost
>>> Starting tablet server on localhost
>>> Starting master on localhost
>>> Starting garbage collector on localhost
>>> Starting monitor on localhost
>>> Starting tracer on localhost
>>>
>>> Yet if I try to start an accumulo shell with bin/accumulo shell -u root I
>>> get the following error:
>>>
>>> 14 12:41:27,472 [impl.ServerClient] WARN : Failed to find an available
>>> server in the list of servers: []
>>> 14 12:41:27,473 [shell.Shell] ERROR:
>>> org.apache.accumulo.core.client.AccumuloException:
>>> org.apache.thrift.transport.TTransportException: Failed to connect to a