accumulo-user mailing list archives

From John Vines <john.w.vi...@ugov.gov>
Subject Re: start-all.sh should do some basic verification (was Accumulo fails to start)
Date Thu, 15 Mar 2012 21:31:13 GMT
In the debian scripts, I attempt to find JAVA_HOME by tracing /usr/bin/java
with readlink, but this doesn't exist on OSX and readlink behaves
differently on RHEL. So then I changed it to just iterating over a list of
known java directories, which it checks for until it works. I would love to
have a more standard solution for that as well, if anyone can think of one.

On Thu, Mar 15, 2012 at 6:37 PM, Robert Vesse <rvesse@yarcdata.com> wrote:

> [...]
> configuration where start-all.sh will appear to work fine but Accumulo will
> actually not have started and no logs will have been generated.  This is
> very unhelpful to the user since they have no visibility that something has
> gone wrong
>
>  Would it be possible for the start-all script to do some basic
> verification to check that servers actually started up ok and if not print
> an error "Accumulo did not start correctly, please check your configuration"
>
>  Rob
>
>  On Mar 14, 2012, at 5:39 PM, Eric Newton wrote:
>
> Well, JAVA_HOME expects a certain file layout... for example, on my mac
> laptop, /Library/Java/Home works, but on Linux it's completely different.
>
>  It is especially sensitive when building the JNI libs for the native map.
>
>  Since it is hard to debug different configurations on different
> platforms, it would be great if you could document what works for you.
>
>  -Eric
>
> On Wed, Mar 14, 2012 at 4:05 PM, Robert Vesse <rvesse@yarcdata.com> wrote:
>
>> I have tried to set it in that script but the scripts don't seem to
>> accept it - this is further confused by the fact that a couple of days ago
>> everything worked without any issues and I haven't changed my config at all
>>
>>  A which java on my command line will give /usr/bin/java as the path but
>> setting JAVA_HOME to this causes scripts to fail completely because they
>> blindly append /bin/java to the path, yet bizarrely setting it to /usr
>> gives the warning seen in my email
>>
>>  I will experiment and see whether this is the cause of the issue but
>> should there not be a way to actually show a useful error message to the
>> user in this case?
>>
>>  Rob
>>
>>  On Mar 14, 2012, at 12:56 PM, Eric Newton wrote:
>>
>> Are you setting JAVA_HOME in conf/accumulo-env.sh ?
>>
>>  If you are setting configuration in your environment, it may not
>> survive an ssh to localhost.
>>
>>  -Eric
>>
>> On Wed, Mar 14, 2012 at 3:51 PM, Robert Vesse <rvesse@yarcdata.com>wrote:
>>
>>> I'm having problems with Accumulo not starting correctly - yet from the
>>> command line it looks to start fine i.e. when I run bin/start-all.sh I see
>>> the following output:
>>>
>>> Starting tablet servers and loggers .... done
>>> Unable to find a $JAVA_HOME at "/usr", continuing with system-provided
>>> Java...
>>> Unable to find a $JAVA_HOME at "/usr", continuing with system-provided
>>> Java...
>>> Starting logger on localhost
>>> Starting tablet server on localhost
>>> Starting master on localhost
>>> Starting garbage collector on localhost
>>> Starting monitor on localhost
>>> Starting tracer on localhost
>>>
>>> Yet if I try to start an accumulo shell with bin/accumulo shell -u root
>>> I get the following error:
>>>
>>> 14 12:41:27,472 [impl.ServerClient] WARN : Failed to find an available
>>> org.apache.accumulo.core.client.AccumuloException:
>>> org.apache.thrift.transport.TTransportException: Failed to connect to a