accumulo-user mailing list archives

From John Vines <john.w.vi...@ugov.gov>
Subject Re: Cell-level visibility use case
Date Wed, 28 Mar 2012 14:47:54 GMT
An off the top of my head example, which may not be valid, but seems
reasonable to me.

You have one piece of information, HIPAA related. So data gets tagged for
insurance, doctors, and nurses lets say. But along comes a researcher who
wants to do data mining on medical records. Some users may consent, others
may not. Those who consent can get their data tagged for insurance,
doctors, nurses, and researchers. And if we want to get more detailed,
maybe there's different types of research going on. Perhaps researcher1 is
looking at heart conditions relative to ancestry whereas researcher2 is
looking at diabetes in relation to income. A person may consent to one, but
not the other, and then have their data tagged for researcher1, but not
necessarily researcher2.

Hope this example sheds some light on the possibilities with this
visibility design.

John