accumulo-user mailing list archives

From Robert Vesse <rve...@yarcdata.com>
Subject Re: Cell-level visibility use case
Date Wed, 28 Mar 2012 15:36:06 GMT
An even more general sector agnostic example

You are maintaining an employee database that doubles as the employee internal directory.
 Anyone can look up another employee's phone number/email but only HR and management should
be able to look up an employees salary/bonus

Rob

On Mar 28, 2012, at 8:30 AM, Cardon, Tejay E wrote:

Yes, thank you John.  That certainly opens up some possibilities.

tejay

From: John Vines [mailto:john.w.vines@ugov.gov]
Sent: Wednesday, March 28, 2012 10:48 AM
To: user@accumulo.apache.org<mailto:user@accumulo.apache.org>
Subject: EXTERNAL: Re: Cell-level visibility use case

An off the top of my head example, which may not be valid, but seems reasonable to me.

You have one piece of information, HIPAA related. So data gets tagged for insurance, doctors,
and nurses lets say. But along comes a researcher who wants to do data mining on medical records.
Some users may consent, others may not. Those who consent can get their data tagged for insurance,
doctors, nurses, and researchers. And if we want to get more detailed, maybe there's different
types of research going on. Perhaps researcher1 is looking at heart conditions relative to
ancestry whereas researcher2 is looking at diabetes in relation to income. A person may consent
to one, but not the other, and then have their data tagged for researcher1, but not necessarily
researcher2.

Hope this example sheds some light on the possibilities with this visibility design.

John
On Wed, Mar 28, 2012 at 8:51 AM, Cardon, Tejay E <tejay.e.cardon@lmco.com<mailto:tejay.e.cardon@lmco.com>>