accumulo-user mailing list archives

From "Cardon, Tejay E" <tejay.e.car...@lmco.com>
Subject Table design
Date Wed, 21 Mar 2012 16:43:06 GMT
Thank you ahead of time for the input.

When designing tables in HBase, one is encouraged to use single letter names for column families,
and to only have 2 or 3 families.  The documentation states that this has to do with the underlying
way that the data is stored on disk.  I'm curious if similar considerations need to be made
with Accumulo.

Furthermore, and more specific to Accumulo, what considerations should be made for visibility
labels?  If the visibility string for each cell is stored on disk along with the data in the
cell, I could see where both long roll names and large combinations of rolls could have a
major impact on disk utilization.

Finally, can anyone recommend a good resource for Accumulo table design (or for key/value
store design in general)?

Thanks
Tejay Cardon

[cid:image001.jpg@01CC3D77.64A0E3D0]