accumulo-notifications mailing list archives

Site index · List index
Message view « Date » · « Thread »
Top « Date » · « Thread »
From "Ed Coleman (JIRA)" <j...@apache.org>
Subject [jira] [Commented] (ACCUMULO-3652) Remove string concatenation in log statements where slf4j is used.
Date Wed, 08 Apr 2015 01:49:12 GMT

    [ https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/ACCUMULO-3652?page=com.atlassian.jira.plugin.system.issuetabpanels:comment-tabpanel&focusedCommentId=14484536#comment-14484536
] 

Ed Coleman commented on ACCUMULO-3652:
--------------------------------------

If you look back at ACCUMULO-1242 you will see that this has been kicking around for a while.
 When I first looked at this I figured it would be simple.... until I ran into the same issue
with setLevel being called.

The current approach has been to change what can easily be changed to isolate the remaining
log4j dependencies - and live with them for a while as we refactor, decide the best approach,...
Anywhere there is a direct dependency on log4j - I have just left alone and intended to have
handled in a separate sub task if required.

A closer goal that should be achievable is to have the client / public API without a direct
log4j dependency. That would free clients that may have other log framework requirements choose
what suits their needs.  The backend, well that's "our problem."

Dividing ACCUMULO-1242 into sub-tasks was so that we could continue to move forward and defer
the "hard" parts with the hope that they could be made to go away.  There really does not
seem to be a good way to handle the dynamic setLevel with newer frameworks log4j-2, logback,...
so it is something that should be dealt with, but we can also live quite comfortably with
what we have now. So, that makes the current incremental approach seem desirable.

With the first 2 passes the goal was to switch to slf4j where it was easy.  This task (removing
concatenation) was separated so that changes in the log statements could be evaluated / applied
on their own and ease the review processes.

Well, that's my take anyway. Thanks for taking this on.


> Remove string concatenation in log statements where slf4j is used.
> ------------------------------------------------------------------
>
>                 Key: ACCUMULO-3652
>                 URL: https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/ACCUMULO-3652
>             Project: Accumulo
>          Issue Type: Sub-task
>          Components: build
>    Affects Versions: 1.7.0
>            Reporter: Ed Coleman
>            Assignee: Bob Thorman
>            Priority: Minor
>             Fix For: 1.8.0
>
>
> As a separate task, continue with the conversion to remove log4j dependencies, modify
log statements where string concatenation is used and replace with {} parameter substitution.




--
This message was sent by Atlassian JIRA
(v6.3.4#6332)

Mime
View raw message