accumulo-notifications mailing list archives

Site index · List index
Message view « Date » · « Thread »
Top « Date » · « Thread »
From "Christopher Tubbs (JIRA)" <j...@apache.org>
Subject [jira] [Commented] (ACCUMULO-3631) Exclude 'slf4j' artifacts from classpath in default value for general.classpaths
Date Tue, 03 Mar 2015 00:41:05 GMT

    [ https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/ACCUMULO-3631?page=com.atlassian.jira.plugin.system.issuetabpanels:comment-tabpanel&focusedCommentId=14344164#comment-14344164
] 

Christopher Tubbs commented on ACCUMULO-3631:
---------------------------------------------

I disagree with your conclusion that hitting the default value implies a lack of concern...
because this issue has shown that one can hit the default value in cases where one has taken
care to change the defaults in the configuration files. My concern is that because changes
to a bugfix release are generally expected to not result in behavioral changes and typically
don't increase the security risks of a deployment at all (usually, bugfixes tend to go the
other way: reducing security risks), communicating the implications of this in the release
notes of a bugfix release will be an insufficient mitigation. On the other hand, I think it
would be appropriate to change in a minor release, with sufficient documentation.

I'm reluctant to phrase my concerns as "blocker"... but I have sufficient concerns that I'd
like to hear what others thing first, before conceding. I'll concede to the majority on what
to do for 1.6. For 1.7, there is no blocker... I accept your reasoning about risk. The only
remaining concern is whether the change in behavior is appropriate for a bugfix release, and
documentation in a bugfix release would be sufficient to mitigate the risk, given user expectations
for a bugfix release.

> Exclude 'slf4j' artifacts from classpath in default value for general.classpaths
> --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
>
>                 Key: ACCUMULO-3631
>                 URL: https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/ACCUMULO-3631
>             Project: Accumulo
>          Issue Type: Bug
>    Affects Versions: 1.6.0, 1.6.1, 1.6.2
>            Reporter: Josh Elser
>            Assignee: Josh Elser
>            Priority: Blocker
>             Fix For: 1.7.0, 1.6.3
>
>          Time Spent: 20m
>  Remaining Estimate: 0h
>
> Was testing out some Ambari integration for Accumulo that [~billie.rinaldi] and [~mwaineo]
have been working on (AMBARI-5265) and found that, despite accumulo-site.xml having jars starting
with slf4j excluded from the classpath, the shell would complain about duplicate slf4j-log4j12
jars on the classpath.
> Turns out, because access to accumulo-site.xml was restricted (and we only had client.conf
to use), we fell back on the default value for general.classpaths defined in AccumuloClassLoader.
A short-term fix is to update the value there to match what's in our site template.
> I'll add another issue for a long term fix to add classpath support to client configuration.



--
This message was sent by Atlassian JIRA
(v6.3.4#6332)

Mime
View raw message