accumulo-dev mailing list archives

From Michael Wall <mjw...@apache.org>
Subject Re: new committer question
Date Wed, 17 Apr 2019 14:26:00 GMT
Hi Christopher,

I'll disagree with you here.  Going straight to a PR makes sense to me
sometimes, but not always.  What is missing in the straight to PR model is
any discussion that would drive the development.  A ticket could be used to
hash out details like assumptions or requirements or project design
preferences or historical approaches that have been tried before writing
any code.  What I was trying to avoid is having a new contributor do work
to put up a PR only to have to go back and rework the solution when a
discussion in advance could have prevented that.  Or even worse have the PR
rejected entirely for some reason.  Maybe the idea is already implemented
and the contributor didn't see it in the code, or maybe the feature is out
of scope for the project  or whatever.  I don't see having an issue as
redundant but that is just my opinion.

Mike