accumulo-dev mailing list archives

From Christopher <ctubb...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Remove Google Analytics from project website
Date Mon, 05 Nov 2018 15:49:49 GMT
On Mon, Nov 5, 2018 at 9:48 AM Sean Busbey <busbey@apache.org> wrote:

> IIRC google analytics was one of the few ways Josh and I were able to look at the size
of the "lurker population" for the project back when we tried to get a grasp on how the community
was doing back in 2014.

We don't need an answer to every interesting question that we can
think to ask, especially when getting the answer comes with elevated
concerns over user privacy and tracking. Having some insight into the
"lurker population", for me, is not a compelling reason to track our
users' website activity, and certainly not with a third party.

> What will we do as an alternative for checking interest in the project expressed as website
visits? When one of us wants to redesign or optimize parts of the website how will we know
what works and what doesn't?

>From what I've seen, we've never had enough traffic to use the
information that way anyway, and none of our site edits have ever been
motivated by that, to my knowledge.

Further, before we switched to the gtag.js script instead of the
analytics.js script for GA, it had stopped working entirely, and
nobody even noticed... possibly for months. I can't see why we'd want
to insist on tracking user activity when we're not even using the
data... to the point where we don't even notice if the data doesn't
come.

> I think GDPR is also a good reason to keep the existing analytics install. Any alternative
we come up with will have to comply and I'm pretty sure the Google Analytics team is in a
better position to do that then the Accumulo community is.

I don't think we need any alternative. INFRA may be able to provide
log information from Apache's web servers, but personally, I just
don't think we need to do any tracking at all. It doesn't serve our
users or (since we don't use it) our developers. All the arguments in
favor are either theoretical use cases, or are "wants" rather than
"needs". I think our users are better served by not tracking, and our
developers time is better spent not distracted by questions arising
from a shifting cultural landscape more focused on privacy.