accumulo-dev mailing list archives

From Christopher <ctubb...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [DISCUSS] 2.0.0-alpha?
Date Sat, 06 Oct 2018 15:36:37 GMT
I think the benefits of an alpha release can be, and have been,
expressed elsewhere in the internet better than I could do it. But, in
short, an alpha is to solicit feedback from a wider audience, outside
the devs.

In ASF, release candidates are part of the process for making any
release, including an alpha release. So, we'd be voting on RC1 of
2.0.0-alpha. A release candidate can't substitute for a release of any
kind. They serve different purposes. A passing vote would mean that we
can more explicitly share it outside the ASF committers to get the
feedback that an alpha asks for. For example, we can publish the alpha
release to Maven Central and the ASF mirrors, as well as link on our
downloads page.