accumulo-dev mailing list archives

From "Ed Coleman" ...@ecoleman.org>
Subject [DISCUSS] Paper on Software licensing issues.
Date Tue, 26 Jun 2018 07:20:30 GMT
I thought this may be of general interest to some - I'm not implying that
Accumulo has a specific issue, or that an action is required.

On June 25th, the morning paper highlighted a study of open source licensing
(https://blog.acolyer.org/2018/06/25/to-distribute-or-not-to-distribute-why-
licensing-bugs-matter/)

The paper abstract:

Software licenses dictate how source code or binaries can be modified,
reused, and redistributed. In the case of open source projects, software
licenses generally fit into two main categories, permissive and restrictive,
depending on the degree to which they allow redistribution or modification
under licenses different from the original one(s). Developers and
organizations can also modify existing licenses, creating custom licenses
with specific permissive/restrictive terms. Having such a variety of
software licenses can create confusion among software developers, and can
easily result in the introduction of licensing bugs, not necessarily limited
to well-known license incompatibilities. In this work, we report a study
aimed at characterizing licensing bugs by (i) building a catalog
categorizing the types of licensing bugs developers and other stakeholders
face, and (ii) understanding the implications licensing bugs have on the
software projects they affect. The presented study is the result of the
manual analysis of 1,200 discussions related to licensing bugs carried out
in issue trackers and in five legal mailing lists of open source
communities. Our findings uncover new types of licensing bugs not addressed
in prior literature, and a detailed assessment of their implications.

The paper is available at:
http://www.christophervendome.com/wp-content/uploads/2018/05/ICSE18-Licensin
gBugsCRC.pdf

Ed Coleman