accumulo-dev mailing list archives

From Christopher <ctubb...@apache.org>
Subject Java (eventually) dropping Serialization
Date Wed, 30 May 2018 04:16:30 GMT
I thought this was interesting:
https://www.infoworld.com/article/3275924/java/oracle-plans-to-dump-risky-java-serialization.html

If the long-term plan is to remove serialization from Java classes (in
favor of a lightweight, possibly pluggable, "Records" serialization
framework), we should begin thinking about how we use serialization in
Accumulo's code today. At the very least, we should try to avoid any
reliance on it in any future persistence of objects in Accumulo. If we see
an opportunity to remove it in our current code anywhere, it might be worth
spending the time to do follow through with such a change.

Of course, this is probably going to be a *very* long time before it is
actually dropped from Java, but it's not going to hurt to start thinking
about it now.

(Accumulo uses Java serialization for storing FaTE transaction information,
and perhaps elsewhere.)