accumulo-dev mailing list archives

From Christopher <ctubb...@apache.org>
Subject [DISCUSS] Proposed formatter change: 100 char lines
Date Fri, 16 Feb 2018 04:24:31 GMT
Primarily for accessibility reasons (screen space with a comfortable font),
but also to support readability for devs working on sensibly-sized screens,
I want to change our formatter to format with 100 char line length instead
of its current 160.

Many of our files need to be reformatted anyway, because the current
formatter is configured incorrectly for Java 8 lambda syntax and needs to
be fixed, so this might be a good opportunity to make the switch.

Also, at this point I think it is sensible to require Java 8 to build
Accumulo... even when building older branches. (Accumulo 1.x will still
support running on Java 7, of course, but Java 8 would be required to build
it). The reason for this requirement is that in order to reduce merge
conflicts and merge bugs between branches, I'd like to update the
formatting across all branches, but the formatter which supports this
syntax requires Java 8 to run. The alternative to requiring Java 8 would be
to only run the formatter when building with Java 8... and skip formatting
if building with Java 7, which might result in some unformatted
contributions, depending on the JRE version used to build.