accumulo-dev mailing list archives

From Mike Drob <md...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [DISCUSS] Switch to GitHub issues after trial
Date Thu, 15 Feb 2018 19:55:00 GMT
On Thu, Feb 15, 2018 at 12:31 PM, Christopher <ctubbsii@apache.org> wrote:

> While I think Spark's reasons might be interesting, I find it hard to
> believe that any reason they might have would be so compelling as to
> prevent us from even performing a trial. I think should still experiment
> with GH issues, as a trial, regardless of what additional input we might
> get from other-than-hands-on experience during that trial.
>
> I can think of several.

Let's not assume that we have ASF policy blessing to do this. Somebody
should research that. Or tell me that they've already researched it. It's
likely ok, but I don't want to do dive headfirst into something stupid.

What do we do if the trial is wildly successful? Is there a migration plan
for our currently open issues? We have almost 1000 of them.

And this part is a little glib, but what would be a sign to the community
that Apache is not the right fit for Accumulo? There are countless
successful open source projects using GitHub as the canonical repo
(complete with CI, issues, wiki, and site). Projects can use Google groups
for mailing lists when necessary instead of ASF lists. I see a slow trickle
in the Accumulo community that some given self-service option is better
than the equivalent provided by ASF Infra. Sure, there's lots of
alternatives out there for much of the tooling, but I like the convenience
of having it handled for me. Some people can disagree here, and that's ok.

Anyway, please please address my first two point, and at least consider the
third. Not necessarily you, Christopher; open question to the proponents.

Mike