accumulo-dev mailing list archives

From Keith Turner <ke...@deenlo.com>
Subject Re: [DISCUSS] Hadoop3 support target?
Date Tue, 05 Dec 2017 17:18:11 GMT
If we are going to deprecate, then it would be nice to have a
replacement.  One thing that has irked me about the current Accumulo
entry point is that one can not specify everything needed to connect
to in a single props file.  Specifically, credentials can not be
specified.  It would be really nice to have a new entry point that
allows this.

We could release a 1.9 bridge version.  This version would be based on
1.8 and only include a new entry point. Base it on 1.8 in order to
allow a low risk upgrade for anyone currently using 1.8.  Once people
start using 1.9 they can have code that uses the old and new entry
point running at the same time.  In 2.0 we can drop the problematic
entry point.

Below is a commit to 1.8 where I was experimenting with a new entry point.

https://github.com/keith-turner/accumulo/commit/1c07fa62e9c57bde7e60907595d50f898d03c9d5

This new API would need review, its rough and there are some things I
don't like about it.  Just sharing for discussion of general concept,
not advocating for this specific API.

On Mon, Dec 4, 2017 at 6:27 PM, Dave Marion <dmarion18@gmail.com> wrote:
> There is no reason that you can't mark the offending API methods as deprecated in a 1.8.x
release, then immediately branch off of that to create a 2.0 and remove the method. Alternatively,
we could decide to forego the semver rules for a specific release and make sure to point it
out in the release notes.

and fixing the API leak in 1.7/1.8. I'm curious what people other than Christopher think (assuming
from his comments/JIRA work that he disagrees with me).