accumulo-dev mailing list archives

From Josh Elser <els...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [DISCUSS] Hadoop3 support target?
Date Tue, 05 Dec 2017 17:51:06 GMT
Ok, a bridge version seems to be a general path forward. Generally this
would be...

* 1.8 gets relevant commons-config classes/methods deprecated
* 1.9 is 1.8 with those deprecation points removed
* 1.9 has commons-config shaded (maybe?)

IMO, it's critical that we remove the commons-config stuff from our
public API (shame this somehow was let in to begin).

I think shading our use of commons-config would be a good idea and
lessen our ClientConfiguration scope to being able to read from a file.
Trying to support the breadth of what commons-configuration can do will
just get us into more trouble.

On 12/5/17 12:18 PM, Keith Turner wrote:
> If we are going to deprecate, then it would be nice to have a
> replacement.  One thing that has irked me about the current Accumulo
> entry point is that one can not specify everything needed to connect
> to in a single props file.  Specifically, credentials can not be
> specified.  It would be really nice to have a new entry point that
> allows this.
>
> We could release a 1.9 bridge version.  This version would be based on
> 1.8 and only include a new entry point. Base it on 1.8 in order to
> allow a low risk upgrade for anyone currently using 1.8.  Once people
> start using 1.9 they can have code that uses the old and new entry
> point running at the same time.  In 2.0 we can drop the problematic
> entry point.
>
> Below is a commit to 1.8 where I was experimenting with a new entry point.
>
> https://github.com/keith-turner/accumulo/commit/1c07fa62e9c57bde7e60907595d50f898d03c9d5
>
> This new API would need review, its rough and there are some things I
> don't like about it.  Just sharing for discussion of general concept,
> not advocating for this specific API.
>
> On Mon, Dec 4, 2017 at 6:27 PM, Dave Marion <dmarion18@gmail.com> wrote:
>> There is no reason that you can't mark the offending API methods as deprecated in
a 1.8.x release, then immediately branch off of that to create a 2.0 and remove the method.
Alternatively, we could decide to forego the semver rules for a specific release and make
sure to point it out in the release notes.

and fixing the API leak in 1.7/1.8. I'm curious what people other than Christopher think (assuming
from his comments/JIRA work that he disagrees with me).