accumulo-dev mailing list archives

From Christopher <ctubb...@apache.org>
Subject [DISCUSS] Moving away from Thrift
Date Fri, 17 Nov 2017 04:36:16 GMT
Accumulo Devs,

I think it's time we start seriously thinking about moving away from Thrift
and considering alternatives.
For me, https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/THRIFT-4062 is becoming the
last straw.

Thrift is a neat idea, but to be blunt: there seems to be a fundamental
lack of care or interest from the Thrift developers at the current moment.

Some of the problems we've seen over the years: Every version is
fundamentally incompatible with other versions. Repeated flip-flopping
regressions seems to occur with each release. Fundamental design concepts
like distinguishing server-side exceptions (TApplicationException vs.
TException) are undermined without consideration of the initial design. And
now, a serious bug (a spammy debugging print statement) was left in for
nearly a year now (still exists in current version), and no response from
the PMC to indicate any willingness to release a fix. Repeated requests to
the developer list has gone ignored. And, I'm not even counting my requests
for assistance debugging a compiler issue on s390x arch having also gone
ignored.

These problems are not exclusive to Accumulo. Many of these are problems
that Cassandra has also faced, and I'm sure there are others.

It's possible that Thrift can remedy the situation. None of these problems
are insurmountable, and none of them are beyond fixes, particularly if we
can afford to volunteer more to help out. My intention is not to throw a
fellow Apache project under the bus, and I do not intend to give up
reporting bugs, and contributing patches to Thrift where appropriate. But,
I think we also need to think realistically, and consider alternatives, if
Thrift development does not go in a direction which is favorable to
Accumulo.

So, with that in mind, any suggestions for alternatives? With pros/cons?