accumulo-dev mailing list archives

From "Ed Coleman" <d...@etcoleman.com>
Subject RE: [DISCUSS] Moving away from Thrift
Date Fri, 17 Nov 2017 04:43:10 GMT
Have we tried fixing the current issue and then submitting a pull-request?

I'd favor first submitting a pull request and any other help that we can provide to get it
adopted and released soon - failing that we could fork the project and go from there. That
could offer us a path to correct the immediate issue and offer time to consider other alternatives.

Ed Coleman

-----Original Message-----
From: Christopher [mailto:ctubbsii@apache.org]
Sent: Thursday, November 16, 2017 11:36 PM
To: accumulo-dev <dev@accumulo.apache.org>
Subject: [DISCUSS] Moving away from Thrift

Accumulo Devs,

I think it's time we start seriously thinking about moving away from Thrift and considering
alternatives.
For me, https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/THRIFT-4062 is becoming the last straw.

Thrift is a neat idea, but to be blunt: there seems to be a fundamental lack of care or interest
from the Thrift developers at the current moment.

Some of the problems we've seen over the years: Every version is fundamentally incompatible
with other versions. Repeated flip-flopping regressions seems to occur with each release.
Fundamental design concepts like distinguishing server-side exceptions (TApplicationException
vs.
TException) are undermined without consideration of the initial design. And now, a serious
bug (a spammy debugging print statement) was left in for nearly a year now (still exists in
current version), and no response from the PMC to indicate any willingness to release a fix.
Repeated requests to the developer list has gone ignored. And, I'm not even counting my requests
for assistance debugging a compiler issue on s390x arch having also gone ignored.

These problems are not exclusive to Accumulo. Many of these are problems that Cassandra has
also faced, and I'm sure there are others.

It's possible that Thrift can remedy the situation. None of these problems are insurmountable,
and none of them are beyond fixes, particularly if we can afford to volunteer more to help
out. My intention is not to throw a fellow Apache project under the bus, and I do not intend
to give up reporting bugs, and contributing patches to Thrift where appropriate. But, I think
we also need to think realistically, and consider alternatives, if Thrift development does
not go in a direction which is favorable to Accumulo.

So, with that in mind, any suggestions for alternatives? With pros/cons?