accumulo-dev mailing list archives

From Sean Busbey <bus...@cloudera.com>
Subject Re: [DISCUSS] Question about 1.7 bugfix releases
Date Mon, 05 Jun 2017 21:36:06 GMT
On Mon, Jun 5, 2017 at 2:12 PM, Christopher <ctubbsii@apache.org> wrote:
> On Mon, Jun 5, 2017 at 1:18 PM Sean Busbey <busbey@cloudera.com> wrote:
>

>> In my limited experience, when ASF projects don't reliably make
>> maintenance releases, enterprise customers turn to vendors to provide
>> a source of conservative updates. Phrased another way, it's a thing
>> that I see pointed to for why a decision maker might pick a vendor
>> "powered by" an asf project rather than asf blessed releases.
>>

> I've seen that, too. Are you suggesting that's a problem?
>
> I'm interested in providing more frequent releases on fewer maintenance
> branches. But, if a vendor wants to provide an alternate upgrade path to
> fill a specific need for users with special requirements for earlier
> branches, I think that's fine.

Yeah, I generally consider it a problem. It cuts off a part of our
potential community funnel for increasing participation. What
incentive is there for the folks working on/with Accumulo at Big Co,
Inc to engage with us here if they have to wait for Vendor Y to
actually get their changes into a format they can make use of?

--
busbey