accumulo-dev mailing list archives

From Dave Marion <dlmar...@comcast.net>
Subject Re: [DISCUSS] Pull Request Guidelines
Date Mon, 05 Jun 2017 16:32:23 GMT
The main entrance to the community for new contributors is through pull requests. I have seen
PR's approved in an inconsistent manner. My intent was to make known the expectations for
new contributions so that newcomers don't get discouraged by the amount of feedback and/or
changes requested while providing some guidelines to make it more consistent. It seems that
there is not a desire to do this for various reasons. That's fine by me and I'm willing to
drop the discussion here.

> On June 5, 2017 at 12:14 PM "Marc P." <marc.parisi@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>     Turner and Tubbs,
>       You both piqued my interest and I agree. There's something important in what both
said regarding the discussion and importance of a particular change. Style changes most likely
aren't deal breakers unless it is terribly confusing, but I would leave that up to the reviewer
and developer to discuss.

>     Dave,
>       I'm sure your intent is good and you goal isn't the handcuff reviewers. Is your
concern over a stalemate on something such as a code style? Would a discussion not be the
remedy for this?

>     On Mon, Jun 5, 2017 at 12:07 PM, Keith Turner <keith@deenlo.com mailto:keith@deenlo.com
> wrote:
>
>         > > Sometimes I use review comments to just ask questions about things
> >         don't understand.  Sometimes when looking at a code review, I have a
> >         thought about the change that I know is a subjective opinion.  In this
> >         case I want to share my thought, in case they find it useful.
> >         However, I don't care if a change is made or not.  Sometimes I think a
> >         change must be made.  I try to communicate my intentions, but its
> >         wordy, slow,  and I don't think I always succeed.
> >
> >         Given there are so many ways the comments on a review can be used, I
> >         think it can be difficult to quickly know the intentions of the
> >         reviewer.  I liked review board's issues, I think they helped with
> >         this problem.  A reviewer could make comments and issues.  The issues
> >         made it clear what the reviewer thought must be done vs discussion.
> >         Issues made reviews more efficient by making the intentions clear AND
> >         separating important concerns from lots of discussion.
> >
> >         When I submit a PR and it has lots of comments, towards the end I go
> >         back and look through all of the comments to make sure I didn't miss
> >         anything important.  Its annoying to have to do this.  Is there
> >         anything we could do in GH to replicate this and help separate the
> >         signal from the noise?
> >

> >         On Mon, Jun 5, 2017 at 11:08 AM, Dave Marion <dlmarion@comcast.net mailto:dlmarion@comcast.net
> wrote:
> >         > I propose that we define a set of guidelines to use when reviewing
pull requests. In doing so, contributors will be able to determine potential issues in their
code possibly reducing the number of changes that occur before acceptance. Here's an example
to start the discussion:
> >         >
> >         >
> >         > Items a reviewer should look for:
> >         >
> >         > 1. Adherence to code formatting rules (link to formatting rules)
> >         >
> >         > 2. Unit tests required
> >         >
> >         > 3. Threading issues
> >         >
> >         > 4. Performance implications
> >         >
> >         >
> >         > Items that should not block acceptance:
> >         >
> >         > 1. Stylistic changes that have no performance benefit
> >         >
> >         > 2. Addition of features outside the scope of the ticket (moving the
goal post, discussion should lead to ticket creation)