accumulo-dev mailing list archives

From Dave Marion <dlmar...@comcast.net>
Subject Re: [DISCUSS] Pull Request Guidelines
Date Mon, 05 Jun 2017 16:57:33 GMT
I think things can be improved when it comes to handling pull requests. The point of this thread
was to try and come up with something to set expectations for the contributor. I figured the
discussion would lead to the modification of the existing example or to a new example. Christopher
provided a different example, but most of the feedback seemed to indicate that this was not
warranted. I'm not sure what else I can say on the matter. If the majority thinks that its
not a problem, then its not a problem.

> On June 5, 2017 at 12:39 PM Josh Elser <josh.elser@gmail.com> wrote:
>

> Perhaps this discussion would be better served if you gave some concrete
> suggestions on how you think things can/should be improved.
>
> e.g. Mike's suggestion of using the maven-checkstyle-plugin earlier, why
> not focus on that? Does this (still) work with the build? If so, how do
> we get that run automagically via travis or jenkins?
>
> To me, it seems like you either wanted to throw some shade or you are
> genuinely concerned about a problem that others are not (yet?) concerned
> about. I doubt re-focusing contribution processes for efficiency would
> be met with disapproval.
>
> On 6/5/17 12:32 PM, Dave Marion wrote:
> > The main entrance to the community for new contributors is through pull requests.
I have seen PR's approved in an inconsistent manner. My intent was to make known the expectations
for new contributions so that newcomers don't get discouraged by the amount of feedback and/or
changes requested while providing some guidelines to make it more consistent. It seems that
there is not a desire to do this for various reasons. That's fine by me and I'm willing to
drop the discussion here.

> >> On June 5, 2017 at 12:14 PM "Marc P." <marc.parisi@gmail.com> wrote:
> >>
> >> Turner and Tubbs,
> >> You both piqued my interest and I agree. There's something important in what
both said regarding the discussion and importance of a particular change. Style changes most
likely aren't deal breakers unless it is terribly confusing, but I would leave that up to
the reviewer and developer to discuss.

> >> Dave,
> >> I'm sure your intent is good and you goal isn't the handcuff reviewers. Is your
concern over a stalemate on something such as a code style? Would a discussion not be the
remedy for this?

pull requests. In doing so, contributors will be able to determine potential issues in their
code possibly reducing the number of changes that occur before acceptance. Here's an example
to start the discussion:

goal post, discussion should lead to ticket creation)