accumulo-dev mailing list archives

From Christopher <>
Subject Re: [DISCUSS] GitBox
Date Fri, 05 May 2017 15:30:04 GMT
On Fri, May 5, 2017 at 10:50 AM Josh Elser <> wrote:

> [...]
> > would be after we've adjusted to this switch, and I would suggest we do
> it
> > gradually and organically... similar to how we transitioned from RB to GH
> > for reviews. Technically, we still have RB, but we just don't use it
> > because GH is better.
> >
> > In any case, I'm not proposing we start using GH issues, or even make it
> an
> > option, right now. For now, I'm just thinking it would benefit management
> > of PRs (among the other, lesser, benefits I list).
> Ok, migrating to GH issues was just a data point for now.
> >> What problems do we have as a project which labels and milestones would
> >> solve? Otherwise, this just seems like change for change's sake.
> >>

> > I think not being able to add labels and milestones is itself a problem.
> It
> > makes organizing/tracking/searching PRs harder. Certainly, it's much
> harder
> > to navigate to the corresponding JIRA issue (if one was mentioned), and
> > view that information there, rather than simply see it on the PR itself.
> I don't agree with the assessment that it's much harder to open the JIRA
> issue in another browser tab, but perhaps that's just me. I think having
> relevant project tracking information shared across two separate systems
> is a recipe for disaster.
> > In addition to label and milestone, it also lets us use "assignees",
> which
> > I think is useful to track committers who are working on merging the PR,
> > and "projects", which I don't think is very useful.
> IMO, someone saying "I'm working on merging this" is sufficient.
> > I think using GitBox would also allow us to close PRs without adding a
> > dummy commit.
> Might be nice, but doing a dummy commit or asking the author to close it
> is not onerous.
> > It would also allow us to push directly to GH and optionally do merges
> and
> > edits from the GitHub UI, which lowers the bar for committers to make
> small
> > changes or merge changes. Being able to push directly to GH also gives
> more
> > options to people who might have a good GH connection, but a poor ASF
> > connection.
> That would be nice -- GH does have some nice push-button integrations here.
> > It also puts us in a good position to self-service Travis CI and other GH
> > apps, as GitBox service matures and INFRA provides more self-service
> > features.
> Thanks for listing these points.
> I don't see this as having sufficient value to disrupt our existing
> workflow. The points you raised are primarily convenience issues, not
> flaws in our JIRA workflow. Given the overall "low" activity on the
> project, I don't see a point in disrupting what has been working for us
> and what the gray-beards are used to doing.

I guess I just don't see it as much of a disruption. There's the switching
cost, which is pretty small**, but after that, there's not really any
downside. We wouldn't lose anything, but would gain some things. However
small they might be, they can add up.

In any case, I'm also fine waiting for now... to see how GitBox matures.
This is actually far more important for Fluo (which uses GH issues) than
for Accumulo. I opened a similar discussion on the Fluo dev list, and if
Fluo switches to GitBox, we can provide feedback here to how it all worked
out, if we want to revisit this later.

**Just a change in URL for the repo for anybody not actively involved in
working with INFRA to make the switch happen.